Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Samoas!!


The samoa is my favorite girl scout cookie, it's insanely delicious and insanely expensive, but after making these from scratch, I understand why. The cookies took me 3 hours to make and those 3 hours didn't include the time for the chocolate to set up.

The shortbread was really good and it's a recipe that I would use again, maybe I'll use this recipe for my annually cookie cook off. It just took a lot of work to get the dough at a good enough temperature to roll out and cut shapes that kept shape, the recipe contains baking powder, so the cookies don't hold their shape as much as a true shortbread cookie, but it's a pretty good hold for a recipe that calls for baking powder. The cookies were super soft and tasty, as appose to a shortbread cookie that you almost break your teeth on.

The caramel that I used, I wasn't too happy with, it wasn't soft enough and when the cookies set up, you could tell, it didn't melt to my liking either. The caramel made the topping difficult to spread on the cookies.

The coconut that I used wasn't thin like the coconut used in a real samoa, and it was sweetened. I toasted it and it tasted great, but the texture was off. So next time I'll use raw shredded coconut.

The chocolate was Hersey's semi sweet chips and I think next time I'll use a higher quality chocolate because the chocolate didn't set up the way that I wanted. I guess you get what you pay for. Dipping the cookies in the chocolate was kind of difficult, but after the first 4, I did better.

All in all the cookie's came out tasting exactly like a real samoa cookie, but the topping was on the hard side, due to the soft caramel's that were too hard. And the chocolate didn't set up enough for me. With a few tweaks, this could be a excellent recipe.




No comments: