Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stolen Innocence

So we got settled into the house fairly quick. This gave me time to catch up on some reading and crocheting! I started to read the book "Stolen Innocence" about a week ago and didn't get to read much of it because of all of the packing. So I picked it back up on Wednesday and finished it Friday. It was such a good book, I just couldn't put it down. It was about about this child was raised in a Polygamous Sect and forced into marriage at the age of 14. Some pretty crazy stuff, and the reality of it is that it's happening right now! The author "the girl who was raised in the sect" is only a year older than me. So while I grew up dressing up as the Pink Power Ranger for Halloween and watching a good dose of Doug, Wishbone and Rocko's Modern Life when I got home from school. This girl was reading the Morman Bible or playing with her 17 other siblings. In the religion she was raised on, tv was too worldly, anything that had to do with the outside world was off limits, even playing with children that weren't of her religion. I know theres alot about this in the news right now, a few cases against Warren Jeffs, but to truely understand, you should look at things through the eyes of someone who actually went through this. Good book. Give it a read.


No comments: